Vic High Country (reverse)
We are doing the same trip as Michael Patrick’s at the same time but in reverse, meeting up with Michaels’ group on the Tuesday for a group lunch stop all things being equal.
The aim of this trip is to penetrate deep into the Victorian High country and tackle some interesting tracks This trip will encounter steep mountain trails and long deep descents into valleys. There will be quite a few water crossings at varying depths (blinds may be required). The mountain environment can change at any time so be prepared for hot and possibly cold extreme conditions with potential for rain, snow, high winds, and bush fires. Camping will be at different sites. Pit toilets are available at all camp sites but not showers. Hot showers will be available at Licola & Swifts Creek camping fees will be charged at these two sites. There is a possibility that some vehicle recoveries may be required. Some of the areas that are on the proposed trip can be challenging and will require careful driving. Because of this only experienced club members with suitably modified vehicles will be allowed to participate. Vehicle inspection by the trip leader will be required. (Please note that I am being cautious because some of the areas we will be travelling are new to me and track conditions are unknown). Fuel will be available at Licola, Dargo, and Swifts Creek. Vehicles must be able to travel 500km in low range so fuel capacity will have to be taken into account. You must be able to carry water and food supplies for 7 days. Rations can be obtained at Licola, Dargo, and Swifts creek. I aim to be back in Canberra Friday afternoon and please note due to the character of the Victorian High Country all plans can change on the go.
Basic Trip Plan:
1. Saturday: head out from Canberra via the Hume Highway and Mount Beauty to Swifts Creek where we will camp for the night.
2. Sunday: from Swifts Creek we head out via numerous tracks and Haunted Stream Tk to Italian Flats in Dargo
3. Monday: from Italian Flats through Dargo and numerous tracks to Licola.
4. Tuesday: from Licola via middle bit of Burgoynes Tk and Mt Margaret Tk to Tamboritha Camping Area
5. Wednesday: from Tamboritha Camping Area via Bennison Lookout to Wonongatta Station via Dingo Hill Tk, Caledonia River Tk, and Zeka Spur Tk.
6. Thursday: from Wonongatta Station to Sandy flats camp ground via Mt Selwyn.
7. Friday: head home to Canberra via Lake William Hovell, Wonongatta, Albury, and the Hume highway.
Current State and Federal COVID requirements will be adhered to.